Your fitness depends more on your mind than your physical body. You can always go harder, lift more, run faster than you think. It is your body that gets in the way. We get tired, we get lazy, feel as if we do not have time and when all those things come into play we end up not taking any action to get fit. I know because I went through that at one point.
Before you start in your fitness journey there is one thing you have to start with first and that is to have the right mindset. Mindset is everything; it is what will push you and what will give you the determination to reach your goals. Your mind is like a soiled piece of land. Whatever you plant in that soil it will give you in return. If you plant weeds it will give you an abundance of weeds, but if you plant corn, it will give you a fresh harvest of corn. Believe in what you can achieve is the first step before you start anything.
For me fitness was a last resort after recovering from a bad head injury. So I set in my mind that I would go to the gym everyday for a full month before I had to go to work and even on the weekends. I set that in my mind and took the action to do it and I did. After a month, fitness became a habit and a lifestyle. I saw many areas in my life starting to change including my mental focus, my physical body, my happiness, and the quality of life I was living. I don’t want to make you feel like fitness has to be a last resort before you start, but want to make you realize that you have to set a goal and set your mind into achieving that goal. If you do that it will be much easier to take the action necessary to get you where you want to be.
Steps to take:
- Ask yourself why you want to get fit. Is it to look better, feel better, get stronger or etc.?
- Then implement a plan of action to start with. Figure out an end goal and list out little small goals you can achieve to get to that end goal. You can’t get from A-Z without first going to B, C, or D. Fitness is all about progressing and being patient by taking little steps to achieve an ultimate goal.
- Find someone to keep you accountable. It is a lot easier to get fit when you are doing it in a community. Whether it be your best friend, a personal trainer, your mother or father or even your dog, find that one person that will keep you accountable to your fitness goals and will push you to go to the gym when you least feel like it.
- Next you have to go to the gym when you least feel like it. The more you do this the easier it will be to get your butt to the gym instead of Netflix and chilling on your couch with a bag of Doritos. Force yourself even when you are tired, you will not regret it.
- Last but not least be persistent and consistent. Persistence gets you what you want, but consistency makes sure you keep what you want. You need both to be successful.
So what are you waiting for? Be your own hero and take action with these steps I have listed for you above to create a fit mind fit body fit spirit. What do you have to lose? The time is going to pass by anyways. Mine as well use it doing something productive.